Sunday, May 2, 2010


Ms. Henley a retired teacher of the New York City Board of Education, was kind enough to speak to me about her experiences as a teacher. Years after retirement, she is still teaching in a Private Preschool.


How many years were you a teacher in the Board of Education?

I taught in the Board of Education for 34 years, and it just flew by!


After retirement from the Board of Ed, when and why did you return to the classroom?

After retirement, I got divorced which led me to work. I subbed, did a Maternity leave, and taught music to Kindergarten children. For the past 3 years I have been teaching Preschool and adore my job.


Was teaching something you always wanted to do?

From a very young age, I knew I wanted to teach. I would play school with my dolls and stuffed animals.


If you could go back, would you do it all over again?

Yes, I would pick teaching again for I had a wonderful teaching career.


What advice do you have for people wanting to enter the field of education?

It is very difficult to become a teacher now, with the hiring freezes, and the layoffs which are coming. I would suggest to go into the field of Occupational Therapy or Physical Therapy.


Taking the monetary factor out of the equation, would you send your child to a private school over a NYC Public School? Where do you think children receive the best education?

I believe that every program is as good as the teachers working in that particular school. A good education comes into play when the school has wonderful teachers; whether it is a Private or Public School.


What is the difference between UPK in a Public School verses Private School?

UPK in a Public School has their Principal to answer to, and I do believe there is more flexibility there. I know programs that give Homework etc, and in the private UPK programs this is not allowed. We answer to out Director and follow all the guidelines given to us.


Do you believe children learn better through play or by receiving homework on a daily basis?


Both have their pros and cons. I believe younger children learn better through play. Lets be real the parents do the home work for them. On the other hand, receiving assigned homework gives a child a sense of discipline and responsibility.


The way of teaching has change over the past few years. What are your thoughts on it?

With the changes in teaching, our children are not being allowed to be children. Too much is thrown on them as in Kindergarten now, and not every child is ready for this. Spelling has been forgotten, as well as phonics which is a disaster for the kids of today. Learning for the children of today and tomorrow is not fun anymore. In my Preschool class learning is Fun, as it should be!




I would like to personally thank Ms. Henley for her help and her inspirational words of advice. I had the pleasure of observing her in the classroom and gained a lot from this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment