Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Child Abuse Seminar

As an employee on a preschool, I as well as my fellow colleagues were mandated to report to a Child Abuse Seminar. As we all gathered inside our school gym, mumbles filled the air with despair and aggravation---”Just what I want to be doing on a Thursday night,” stated a teacher.

This was my first seminar of this sort and I was interested to what I was going to learn. Since working at this facility, I have come across many sad and heartbreaking situations that no child should ever have to face. As a teacher and friend, I want to take them into my arms and assure them that everything will be okay. Their innocent looks succumb any negative in my eyes. I just want the best for them, now and in the future.

Retired Police Officer John Dally* greeted us acknowledging the fact that we didn’t want to be there in a humorous way. He began stating the many forms of child abuse---sexual, physical, verbal and emotional. Without even knowing it, millions of children are affected by some form of abuse. Child abuse had many repercussions for the abuser, yet leaves the child with lifelong scars.
“As teachers,” he stated, “you have a responsibility to do all you can for these children. These are real problems and we need to protect the rights of our children. Not just the parents.”

He continued to explain the characteristics of the offender, types of offense and causes of child abuse. It amazed me what is and what isn’t consider an offense of child abuse.

This seminar opened my eyes making me want to help and work with children even more. There is a lot of danger in the outside world. Don’t we want the best for our children? So let’s protect and provide them with a home and a childhood they can enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment